Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Flo-duh's gots its own language

I don't speak any languages besides English, at least not officially. I add that officially because, for some biased and close-minded reason, Encyclopedia Britannica, Webster's Dictionary, and most disturbingly of all, Wikipedia, do not recognize Florida Redneck as an official language.

Having lived among the Florida Natives (that is an important distinction, most Floridians are not natives) for 2 years, I feel qualified to say that Redneck is a language, and that the Florida dialect of Redneck falls beautifully upon the ears when heard and allows the speaker vast freedoms in eloquence and expression.

Sadly, most of my daily redneck has left me. There are still a few phrases that I use subconciously now, and hopefully forever. Like "Sho'nuff" (sure enough) for "yes". "Fair to middlin' " when asked how I am doing, "scrait" for straight, as in straight down the road.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home